More than being merely a home, this structure is also the physical record
of generations before, their hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow.
It is the cultural legacy left to us.
John Wesley Dutton, owner of a naval store company, financed the mansion in 1910. The architectural firm of Cairns & Fitcher drafted the plans in the Neo-Classical genre, and DeLand contractor Gus Lauman supervised its construction,
This 11,000 sq ft mansion was completed at a cost of $25,000.
Defining features of the wood frame mansion include full height Corinthian columns that support tiered verandas: scroll brackets, modillions, and dentils along the frieze; ceramic tile panels in the gable ends; and ceramic tiles on the roof.
The Dutton House stands as one of the last of Volusia County’s most heavily ornamented early twentieth century residences.
The house was built in 1911 after serving as a private home, a retirement home,
and a funeral home the house fell into disrepair for many years.
In the early 1990s it was purchased privately and restoration began.
The new owner fell ill and asked the City of DeLand to take over
the restoration. The City felt it would be better served if a
non-profit specifically established for Dutton House resumed restoration.
In 1995 the non-profit, Historic DeLand Inc. was established. This board was able to
apply for and was awarded several grants through the State
which allowed restoration to continue.
Over time the board diminished and eventually a new board was gathered in 2005.
This board changed the name of the non-profit from Historic DeLand Inc. to
Dutton House Inc to reduce confusion with the Historical Society of DeLand.
This board also applied for and was awarded several grants and
restoration continued until 2008.
Although Dutton House Inc was approved for several State grants in 2008
because of the recession no historic restoration funding was allocated.
We were allowed to reapply for 3 consecutive years all with the same results.
By the time the State was once again allocating funds too much time had passed
and our previous spent funds were now to old to use as matching funds for the grants.
Without matching funds we can’t apply for new grants to continue restoration.
We are actively seeking any and all possible avenues for matching funds.
Unfortunately, we have not been successful to date. But we continue to try.
80% of the exterior is completed. The porches and porte cochere remain.
We have the site plan and interior architectural drawings complete.
The current intended use for the building would be a visitors centers and
museum on the first floor with rooms for event rentals. The second floor
could be used for gallery space and public offices for tourism and the community.
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for copies of the
architectural drawings or the site plan.
Dutton House Inc. is a non-profit organization under Internal Revenue Code 501(c)3 Federal ID #59-3129776. A copy of the official registration for Dutton House Inc. registration #CH26368 and financial information may be obtained from the Division of Consumer Services by calling toll-free within the State. Registration does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by the State. 1-800-435-7352 | www.FloridaConsumerHelp.com